Tuesday 15 November 2011

I had a choice

Boarded the early-morning Shatabdi Express, a super-fast train, to take me from Borivali in Maharashtra to Vapi in Gujarat last Wednesday. My waiting list got confirmed and I was allotted seat in bogie number C4 with seat number 5. What do I find when I board .... a person merrily sleeping after having drunk water from the complimentary bottle of mineral water given by the Indian Railways to all the passengers in that train and also having appropriated the free daily newspaper. I did not have the heart to wake him up, but as the seat was allotted to me I had no other choice and loudly wondered as to what I should do. The person seated at seat number 6 nudged the person awake and then this happened......

Me: This seat has been allotted to me, kindly vacate it please.

Encroacher: The TC (Ticket Collector) has informed me to sit on this seat as my seat is now confirmed as per him. Please wait for the TC to come.

(It is possible that by the time the TC would come, the train would be reaching my destination)

Me: (After once again checking the PNR on my smart phone and showing the same to him) This is the proof of this being my confirmed allotted seat.

Encroacher: Please wait for the TC.

Other co-passengers: He has shown you his confirmation, kindly vacate the seat.

Me: (My voice showing irritation) Please show me your confirmation. ( I repeat this).

Me: (Suddenly realising that my voice is now on edge and that this is not correct and also realising that I could help the chap... I had a choice. Now lowering my voice): I think I can help you, show me your ticket, read out your ticket PNR.

Encroacher: (Reads out his ticket's PNR and manages to invert the last two digits)

Me: You have boarded a wrong train.

Seat No. 6: No, his ticket is for this train. (He then reads out the correct PNR)

Me: (After checking the same on my smartphone): You are still wait-listed and your wait-list number is 7. Kindly get in touch with the TC now.

The encroacher-wait-listed person vacates the seat. 

Me: Here, carry this water bottle, you may need it. (I know that wait-listed passengers do not get the complimentary water bottle.)

In the evening when I take the same train back to my home town, a fellow passenger greets me and refers to the morning incident. He tells me that the sudden change in my behaviour and the desire to help a co-passenger was really appreciable. It helped me win some more friends.

I only remarked, "I happened to remember that I had a choice."

Our destiny is based on the choices we make. At times we forget that we have a choice and end up in misery.

No comments:

Post a Comment